My 11 year-old son, Jack, loves ice cream shakes. Whenever we go to a restaurant with shakes, he gets one. Chocolate is his flavor because he is my son and we love us some chocolate. With as many shakes as he's had in his life, and I'm sorry to say he's had probably more than he should, he saw "Chocolate Malt" on a menu and didn't know what it was. I'm not sure where he was when I made this Malted Milk Ice Cream a year or so ago, but my guess is I ate the ice cream so fast I didn't give him the chance to try it.
Malted Milk Ice Cream
- 1 Cup half-and-half
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Cups heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 Cup malt powder
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 Cups Malted Milk Balls, coarsely chopped
Warm the half-and-half, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. In a large bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, vanilla, and malt powder and set a mesh strainer on top.
In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and whisk it into the malted milk mixture. Stir until cool over and ice bath.
Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. As you remove the ice cream from the machine, fold in the chopped malted milk balls.
- Recipe from The Perfect Scoop.
- The malt balls soften slightly as it sits in the freezer, but they retain their texture. The softening isn't a bad thing; sometimes the feel and sound of the crunch when I eat a Whopper gives me the shivers. Does that happen to anyone else?
- So, now you have malt powder and don' want it to languish on your pantry shelf? Make these Malted Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies from The Pioneer Woman. OMG. Then join a gym, because you're going to need to workout after eating all that yumminess.
- Want a bit of malted milk overload? Make an ice cream sandwich from the Malted Milk Ice Cream and the Malted Milk Chocolate Chip cookies.